2005 Reader's Choice Awards
By Susan Marie Groppi
10 April 2006
As editors here at Strange Horizons, we know that we like all of the pieces we publish, but our annual Reader's Choice Awards give you, our readers, the opportunity to tell us what you liked best. Voting is closed now, the results have been tabulated, and the winners are ready to be announced.
Before we get to that, though, I'd like to point out that our Spring Fund Drive is underway. We're proud of what we've accomplished here at Strange Horizons, but we couldn't have done it without your help, and we need your help to keep doing it. We're looking to raise three thousand dollars in the month of April and every contribution counts! As always, we have a number of lovely membership gifts for people who donate twenty-five dollars or more, but if you can't spare twenty-five dollars, we'd be delighted if you gave us just five or ten. In fact, any donation of any amount (no matter how big or small) enters you in a drawing for one of our fabulous donor prizes. Your contributions are what keeps Strange Horizons publishing, and we hope to keep publishing for many years to come.
So while you're here, check out our fund drive pages and consider making a (tax-deductible!) donation to Strange Horizons today.
On to the fun part!
It is with great pleasure that I present to you the winners of the 2005 Strange Horizons Reader's Choice Awards.
- First Place: "Speculative Poetry: A Symposium." Mike Allen, Alan DeNiro, Theodora Goss, Matt Cheney.
- Second Place: "How to Start a Small Press." Gavin Grant.
- Third Place: "20 Questions with Kelly Link." Lynne Jamneck
- First Place: "The Stories That Predict Us." Matt Cheney.
- Second Place: (tie) "Failing to Teach The Hobbit." Christina Socorro Yovovich.
- Second Place: (tie) "The Publishing Industry—A Reader's Perspective." Debbie Notkin.
- Third Place: "Science Fiction and Sex Ed." Christina Socorro Yovovich
- First Place: Emily Pohl-Weary and Willow Dawson, "Violet Miranda: Girl Pirate."
- Second Place: David Bezzina.
- Third Place: Matthew Laznicka.
- First Place: Frank Wu for "Cloud Dragon Skies."
- Second Place: Susan Moore for "Pip and the Fairies."
- Third Place: Liz Clarke for "A Field Guide to Ugly Places."
- Honorable Mention: Jenn Reese for "Tales from the Chinese Zodiac."
- First Place: "The Rainy Season" by Joanne Merriam.
- Second Place: "War Is For the Hard of Hearing" by Greg Beatty.
- Third Place: (tie) "Chagall's Lamp" by Mike Allen.
- Third Place: (tie) "The Strip Search" by Mike Allen.
- Honorable Mention: "Prince Charming" by Helena Bell.
- First Place: "Two Views: Serenity," review by Mahesh Raj Mohan and Niall Harrison.
- Second Place: "Lego Star Wars," review by Tim Phipps.
- Third Place: "Magic for Beginners," review by Geneva Melzack.
- First Place: "Pip and the Fairies" by Theodora Goss.
- Second Place: "The Taste of Chicory at High Tide" by Lisa Mantchev.
- Third Place: "Magic in a Certain Slant of Light" by Deb Coates.
- Honorable Mention: "Two Dreams on Trains" by Elizabeth Bear.
Congratulations to all of the winners!