Strange Horizons is entirely run by unpaid volunteers, and we're often looking for additional pairs of hands. At the moment we are looking for
If you think you can help out, get in touch! Contact details are included at the end of each description.
We strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Strange Horizons's first readers read some of the incoming fiction submissions and decide whether to pass them along to the fiction editors. We are therefore looking for people who like what Strange Horizons publishes.
We highly encourage Black first readers to apply. We especially welcome readers from outside the US & UK. We also welcome queer, disabled, and neurodiverse readers.
- Read a portion of the submitted stories each week and write a brief summary and comment for each, including characteristics we may be looking for.
- Pass good and interesting stories along to editors.
- Send rejection notes for stories you decide not to take.
- Ability to work well with others in an online setting.
- Discretion; for example, we'll ask that you not blog about the details of your job, though it's fine for you to publicly say that you have the job.
- Reliability: the fiction department depends on first readers. We prefer a reader who reads a small number of stories week after week to a reader who reads a large number randomly.
Roughly five hours per week of reading, plus up to three hours per week of writing summaries, comments, and rejections. The actual time you spend reading in a given week may end up being less than this, but expect the job to take at least five hours a week; don't expect to be able to squeeze it in during occasional spare moments.
Commitment to stay on for at least six months after an initial one-month trial period.
How to apply
If you're interested, send email to email@example.com with the following subject line: FR CANDIDATE: your name here (with "your name here" replaced by your actual name, of course.)
Any of a multitude of salutations within the body of the email are fine, but please don't address your application to just one fiction editor; all of them will be reading your application (generally "Dear Editors," is a good choice).
In the email, introduce yourself, tell us about your relevant experience (if any), let us know a little about why you'd like to join us, and list three to five authors whose short stories (not novels) you particularly like (with emphasis on authors who write speculative fiction). You don’t have to have previous first-reading experience or be a writer—we want to hear from anyone interested in the position.
Then provide a list of three to five of your favorite stories that SH has published. For each story, provide a brief comment, roughly twenty to fifty words, about what you liked about it. Tell us what you really think rather than what you think we want to hear; the main point of this exercise is to help us (and you) decide whether your tastes are likely to match ours, in which case there will be some more screening to make sure we work well together.
We’ve had the good fortune of working with many talented and hard-working first readers over the magazine’s history, and we look forward to adding to their numbers.
Strange Horizons is looking for additional people to join our podcasting team and share responsibility for making podcasts of the magazine’s fiction and poetry content every week.
We welcome applications from queer, minority, and marginalized editors.
- Communicating with authors
- Developing pronunciation guides for readers
- Doing readings of pieces (especially for special issues)
- Can engage in professional and respectful communication with minimal supervision
- Have access to recording equipment and space
- Can use (or learn to use) WordPress, Podbean, and Slack
On average, 3-10 hours per month. We hope you are able to commit to a year if possible.
Please note that magazine editors may not submit writing to Strange Horizons while on staff
How to apply
If you're interested, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: APPLICANT: [your name here]. Type your full name in place of "your name here."
In your email to us, please explain your interest in Strange Horizons and your past experience with podcasting (if any). Give us some examples of your favorite non-Strange Horizons podcasts and why you like them.
Make sure to address your application to Anaea and Ciro. Do not use gendered forms of address.