This being the season for shortlists and year's bests and suchlike, there have been various nice bits of SH-related news I've been meaning to post about; so, here's a roundup. (See also our own Readers' Poll winners for 2013.)
First up, the following SH stories have been selected for Year's Best volumes:
- Best SF/F, edited by Jonathan Strahan: "Selkie Stories are for Losers" by Sofia Samatar
- Best SF/F, edited by Rich Horton: "Live Arcade" by Erik Amundsen and Town's End" by Yukimi Ogawa
- Best dark fantasy/horror, edited by Paula Guran: "Event Horizon" by Sunny Moraine
In addition, four of our stories appeared on this year's Locus Recommended Reading List: "Town's End", plus Difference of Opinion" by Meda Kahn, "Din Ba Din" by Kate MacLeod, and "Jinki and the Paradox" by Sathya Stone.
On the non-fiction front, three pieces from SH have been selected for Speculative Fiction 2013, eds. Ana Grilo and Thea James:
- Bodhisattva Chattopadhyay's essay, "Recentering Science Fiction and the Fantastic: What would a non-Anglocentric understanding of science fiction and fantasy look like?"
- Nina Allan's review of Hair Side, Flesh Side by Helen Marshall
- Renay's column, "You Got Your Industry in My Fanwork"
And then, of course, a couple of our stories have been nominated for awards!
- BSFA Awards: "Selkie Stories are for Losers" is nominated in Best Short Fiction
- Nebula Awards: "Selkie Stories are for Losers" is up for Best Short Story, and "In Joy, Knowing the Abyss Behind" is up for Best Novelette
As Jed Hartman points out, this is the first time two SH stories have been nominated for a Nebula in the same year, which is a lovely thing. Many congratulations to Sarah and Sofia, all the other SH contributors whose work is being reprinted or is recommended, and in general, all the nominees on the BSFA and Nebula ballots!